Pillows are often given little, thought, but are extremely important in getting straight to sleep.
How do I know it’s time for a new pillow?
- As soon as your pillow becomes squishy
- If you tent to fold your pillow in half for extra padding.
- If your pillow looks flat and lumpy, or the inside foam has become powdery and brittle.
What should I look for in a pillow?
There is no such thing as a one size fits all for pillows, so make sure you try before you buy.
however there are some important things to look out for when shopping.
1) a pillow should have enough give, to allow your head to mould into it. if it doesn’t, it’s probably too firm and could result in neck pain, if your head sinks to bottom, it’s probably too soft, and could result in strain and sprain of neck joints, ligaments and muscles.
2) Pillows should support the space between your head and shoulder, your head and neck should remain level with your mid and lower spine.
3) In many cases, you get what you pay for. While many ergonomic pillows on the market may seem expensive, they are more likely to provide long term spinal health benefits.